“….life’s a game of inches… the margin for error is so small… the inches we need are everywhere around us… it’s the guy willin’ to die who’s gonna win that inch… that’s what livin’ is, the 6 inches in front of your face… that’a all it is, now what are you gonna do? ”
It’s corny I know, but watching this clip from Any Given Sunday, I can’t help but wipe a tear from my eye. I’m feeling the inspiration rise like goosebumps on a chilly day. I love watching sports movies where the underdog always wins. Where the girl always gets the guy. Where good trumps bad and the message is always – if you’re in the game, you have to give it your all. You give it your all because you are the game and the game is you. It’s all up to you. All the time. Participate or not. The choice is always yours.
What is the trick to motivation? How do we motivate ourselves? Think I’ll answer those 2 questions over at tube tops, tattoos and TimeLines a little bit later. Right now I have to share my 10 things. The Ten Things of Thankful that Lizzi, our consume (leaving out the “t” so you can pronounce it as a roger might, you know, a rogerian saying lol) hostess asks us to share every week. She and her co-hosts have a most excellent weekend long blog hop. Check it out.
1) thanks? yes, for a safe 811 mile trip from New Smyrna Beach, FL to Alexandria, VA 11 days ago. Even if I did miss the exit and went through hell in the dark to get back onto the Beltway before I slammed into DC proper.
2) thanks to my brothers for their timely gifts before I even knew I would be needing them. The gift of a “book” like bag/case came first from one brother. 2 days later a surprise box arrived holding a laptop. Damn. Put laptop in bag, will travel.
3) thanks to my Man. Who worked hard (as always) to make sure my vehicle was in top notch condition for my extended journey. For worrying that his Woman would be safe. Though she be a superior woman, she’s no mechanic. lol
4) a big thank you to Man’s Nephew who was the one person to step up and offer a place to stay while I take a stand.
5) thanks again to said Nephew who, after my first day’s commute from Absolute Hell (as opposed to regular hell) showed me a most simple way to drive to my new office.
6) thankful that upon arrival at said new office, it was as if no time had passed between the 3 people I am now working with again…what 10 years? lol
7) I am quietly thankful for being able to witness fall. The foliage that I have not seen in 10 years as I have been living in FL. The colors, the landscaping…beautiful. Like a soft blanket I can wrap around myself while I drive. . .
8) thankful that the temperatures have been mild. I’m a cold blooded woman with ice water for blood. Time will tell if I can adapt and eventually remove the 20 layers of clothing from my body at any given time:)
9) extremely thankful for the Wakefield Doctrine. The most important tool on my belt. It provides me with: the information I need as a clark, the in your face expletives that remind me of my 2ndary scottian aspect and finally, encouragement that it is possible to relate to rogers… to be able to “see”/ “experience” their world, foreign as it is to a clark.
10) all hail the Cat.