Last night, I made the mistake of turning over the styrofoam package of the chuck blade steak-lettes I’d just bought. This, mere moments before retrieveing my tiny steak-lette from the tiny frying pan and placing it next to (what a coincidence), a tiny sweet potato. lol Damn! If I wasn’t having a proper dinner even if I did eat standing up.
In the spirit of full disclosure, the last time I ate red meat was….holy shit! I can’t remember! And that, my friends, is one of the reasons I stopped into the grocery store. It had become abundantly clear yesterday afternoon that I was suffering from a severe case of the “stupids” with just a tiny bit of residual moronitude. Answer? Meat!
It’s true. If you’ve ever cut back substantially (deliberately or not), on protein, especially in the form of red meat or even tuna fish, you know about the “dullness”. Let’s just say the cogs in cognitive functioning begin to s-l-o-w down. You start getting dumb people. Simple as that.
This may not be news to you but it sure was to this Girlie….here’s what it said on the bottom of that styrofoam package:
This. Totally. (did I say “totally?!”) Freaked. Me. Out. First of all, who the hell reads the back of meat packages?! I mean, what in Sam Hill possessed me to flip it over?! In the words of Cartman,”dammit!”, if that didn’t kill my appetite. I better start feeling smart, real soon……
Let me begin the return to a “smarter” place in the world by sharing some thankfuls. I know there are some. There always are….
1) Stay with me on this one Frank…remembering to remember the things I remembered I forgot.
2) Thankful the preciptation that began this week was NOTHING like that which began the week prior. Snow flurries at best. Hurray!
3) A week at work that wasn’t totally deadline driven crazy. Deadlines were there, just not the “quick Denis, turn the valve!”.
4) Speaking of work. Having folks walk with me at lunch. I walked several times this week and let me tell you it was not warm. I have special thanks for my work partner in crime who bundled up with me yesterday to brave the cold and wind. Invigorating!!
5) Opportunity. There is always opportunity, every day, populating the space around us. The key is first being able to recognize it, second step is embracing it. Embracing opportunity in spite of fear, in spite of the lack of confidence.
6) Decent traffic for this week’s commute. Although I must admit that last night, for the brief bit of highway approaching and passing the exits on and off for Dulles airport….thought I was driving in a scene from Death Race.
7) the Wakefield Doctrine. Haven’t mentioned it lately in these thankful posts but I surely am. Thankful for having a life tool that gives me what I need to live better. Not always easier. But better.
8) A computer and access to the internet. Yeah, everyone thinks this is one of those “really? a thankful?” Yes. I feel lucky to have both. In fact, it is critical, crucial I have both. Why? (see #9)
9) I’m thankful for being able to have access to people, and they me, via the internet. There is so much going on! There is so much to do! There is so much potential! There is so much self challenge! Isn’t it great?!
10) This, another day.
Enjoy this day, the only day. Be present. Be good.