Hello. Welcome to GirlieOnTheEdge. It is a TTofThankful. So, how do you thank dead people? How do I thank Tom Petty. I don’t own Tom’s full catalog of music. In fact, there’s a lot of his music I don’t know. What I do know, is that when my “significant other” musicians die, it’s like a part of me has died. Tom became part of me in the 80’s with Damn the Torpedos. Did he know what a strong conduit his music was for me? For you? It’s a physical thing. It’s an emotional thing. It’s a body thing. To this day.
Many of us have favorites musicians, songwriters. Some have significant impact, some are pleasant backdrops and some… are lifelong accoutrements we hope will always be there. They are people we fall in love with at particular times of our life. They are people we love forever, regardless of age, circumstance. Because they were always there for us. In happy times. Not happy times. When others in our lives disappeared, drifted away, these people, these artists, were/are always with us. They never fail us. They never leave us.
Today’s TToT is a little bit different. Tom is my first thankful. I’ve left the remaining numbers open. For you. Tell me some of your musical “significant others”, dead or alive, who have impacted your life. Who are your Toms, Johnnys, Davids, Maurices, Glenns… Tell me in your comment, I’ll write them in. And they don’t have to be dead ‘cuz really? the music never dies.
- Tom Petty
- Leon Russell, Jimi Hendrix, Jim Croce, Harry Chapin, John Lennon and more…thanks Rich!
- Whitney Houston, Frank Sinatra and Simon and Garfunkel…Thanks!
- Irish Rovers; Kingston Trio; Chad Mitchell Trio; Peter, Paul, and Mary. Thank you Kristi 🙂
- Glenn Miller (and all those Big Band greats!) Thank you Mimi 😀
- Cat Stevens courtesy of Josie!
- Bjork is the first of 3 from Kerry. The younger generation listens to Bjork!